Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Why I Don't Try Things (spoiler alert: it's because I'm bad at them)

Okay.

I like to think I'm a pretty creative person. I like to doodle things and I like to choreograph little dances and sometimes I try to cook things.

Sometimes.

Unfortunately, this is one of those times.

I wanted to make dinner. I had made pretty okay turkey meatballs the night before, they were alright, I didn't like them so much but Husband did.

So, because I had done okay the night before, I went to the grocery store and picked up sandwich supplies:

  • Tomato
  • Red onion
  • Lettuce
  • Turkey
  • Cheese

Perfect! And to top it off I was going to make homemade bread, from scratch! 

I'm such a good wife.

I had all the ingredients except yeast so I picked up some, and also some chocolate milk for fun.

I found a really basic recipe online, no fancy cornmeal or honey or other things that more food-inclined people put in bread to make it more...more bread-ish?

I followed it to the letter. And this is what I got:





In case you're still confused, my bread didn't turn out. It's cooked all the way through, moist and soft, but dense as a brick, and noticeably pale.

Turns out when the recipe says "Yeast: 1 package, OR 1/4 tsp" it actually means 1/4 oz, which is more like 1/2 tbsp. One half of a tablespoon is about one and a half teaspoons. So I used significantly less yeast than what was needed.

It's not my fault. I'm blaming it on the recipe. It's their fault.

Gwenny liked it at least. 

Sandwich night was ruined. Husband got a burrito from a mexican place near us. I had potato chips, blueberries, chocolate milk and Dr Pepper for dinner.

How grown up of me.

1 comment:

  1. Keep trying! Your dad ate plenty of barely edible meals when we were in our 20's.

    ReplyDelete