Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2015

A Haunting

12:00 AM

It has been a full two hours of slow and deliberate ice scraping beneath my window as I try to sleep. My goal was to go to bed earlier than normal to try to be soundly asleep by the time the elephants got home. This is making that impossible.

 I am too afraid of the original demon encounter to go check what the noise is, fearing this is a trap to lure me out.

12:12 AM

The elephants returned from circus training and are joyfully adding to the already droning noises. Alas, I will not rest tonight.

12:35 AM

The constant scraping seems to have gotten the attention of the elephants, as the pacing stopped doing endless circles and instead went to the window above mine and stopped.

12:57 AM

What sounds to have been a large bucket or garbage can has been thrown against the building. I will now brave the demons that lurk outside my walls to see what the actual hell is going on. Wish me luck.

1:00 AM

My suspicions were incorrect. I was also not eaten by demons.

The sounds appear to have been a large plastic shovel being tossed angrily around the parking lot. As I peered through my blinds the man and cause of this ruckus looked up at me. I have a sneaking suspicion he is working with the demon to lure me outside.

Against my better judgement I continued to watch him. It would appear as though he had managed to get his car stuck in the ~3 inches of snow in the parking lot, and his solution was to free it at 1:00 AM by spinning the tires in place very slowly and opening all the doors to his vehicle (including the trunk) while taking breaks to walk around it in circles, pretending to know what snow was and how to deal with it.

This makes me think that if he isn't working with the demon, he too is cursed. How else could you get your car stuck in a snowbank that's a foot wide and three inches deep?

I turned my lights off so I could keep watching him without him seeing me.

Class A creep status: achieved.

1:20 AM

The man freed his vehicle, drove it approximately ten feet, then returned inside. The elephants have been graciously quiet, presumably transfixed by the events unfolding outside.

1:36 AM

It would appear I spoke far too soon, and seeing as now the elephants have nothing to distract themselves with, they have returned to their nightly patrols.

1:56 AM

I believe the elephants are worse than my megaphone demon. After just enough time has passed quietly for my tired eyes to close and my grinding teeth to relax, they begin again. They taunt me, and I fear I will soon sacrifice myself to the megaphone demon to end my suffering.

It has been approximately four hours since I originally tried to go to sleep.

As I sit now, listening to the sounds of bowling balls being rolled across the floor above me, I look down onto the man's car, sitting two parking spaces over from it's original prison, and I can't help but think to myself:

Is this my life now?

1 comment: