Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

Overbearing Nurses

It seems like this happens consistently every time I call to make an appointment with my doctor. 

The basic setup for making appointments goes like this: you call the appointment number and get an off-site operator who takes your information. If it's a simple appointment ("I need my prescription refilled") she schedules it for you. If it's something she can't immediately make a decision on ("I have all these symptoms what do I do") she calls a nurse from the clinic and has the nurse make the call.

So far every time I've called with so much as a mild cough the nurse is convinced I'm dying.

It takes a lot for me to call in the first place, I tend to minimize problems and pretend they're not there because doctor appointments are so time consuming.

Day four of projectile vomiting? Ah wow what a nasty cold hahaha

Bleeding out my eyes? Gee I must be allergic to my makeup! ohhohoho

But in this case it was "haha wow whenever I run or otherwise exercise I feel like a knife is being driven though my chest weird! Oh man, when I lay down I get really wheezy, crazy! How absurd, whenever I laugh I end up coughing and hacking!"

And this has been going on for AT LEAST a year now.

So I called in and tried to explain chest pains and trouble breathing in the least alarming way possible, but the operator saw right through me and got a nurse on the line.

She was nice, but ultimately thought I was stupid for not being concerned about this.

Her words were: "Do you get this pain when you run?"

I replied "Yeah, I go on a hike or walk everyday too and it does it then as well."

"STOP doing that."

And then I made the mistake of laughing. I chuckled and said "Oh, okay."

I wasn't laughing because I thought she was over reacting, I just laughed because her abrupt order caught me off guard.

That was a mistake however. This woman now is under the impression that I'm laughing at her advice and I had to work for another ten minutes to convince her I would spend today on the couch.

"I'm serious. Don't do that anymore. You need to be seen as soon as possible."

"Okay, I'll take today off."

"If you get that feeling again you need to go to the emergency room. But have someone else drive you."

(Uhh I live alone right now there is no one else) "Okay, I promise I'll spend today doing nothing."

Eventually I convinced her. I don't know whether to be happy that I have an excuse to be lazy or upset because now that I've been ordered not to do anything I just wanna do stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment